The Sunday Times
Monday March 18, 2019

Home improvements in a Grade II listed building in Yapton, West Sussex

Who do I ask about making potential alterations to an interior cellar? Who do I ask about adding an external conservatory?

Asked on Mar 6 2010, Home Improvement in Arundel | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Don't move a muscle without checking out Planning Permission (and Building Regs) especially as the building is Grade II listed; this can take months and months. You'll have to make an application, and there'll be lots of to-ing and fro-ing. There are costs involved in putting in Planning Permission. Find out which local builders have carried out listed building improvements recently and ask their advice.

    Answered on Mar 8 2010, Report content
  • In certain circumstances you may not actually need planning for the conservatory dependent on size. I know a good builder that specialises in making cellars habitable, it is not an easy job and also can be quite costly, let me know if you want his details.

    Answered on Mar 18 2010, Report content
  • As per real estate do nothing you may not need planning for the conservatory but the Listings commission will need to approve ALL alteration and additions inside and out. Speak to the planning dept at your local authority they will advise you from there.

    Answered on Mar 31 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Improvement in Arundel questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Improvement