The Sunday Times
Monday March 25, 2019

Loft conversion without permission

Interested in purchase of a flat, which has a loft conversion without planning permission, thus possibly no building regs. I am still interested, what cost would I incur to perhaps allow the lof/Bedroom to stay? How much could I realistically lower the offer to.

Asked on Jul 17 2010, Home Improvement in Kingston upon Thames | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • If it doesn’t have a dormer and just a velux it probably didn’t require planning, but certainly would require building regs. If you want to use it and sell it as a room, rather than loft you will have to get retrospective regs. Dependant on when and how well it was done, but i guess that it will not meet current regulations as depth of insulation, wiring, stairs etc is much greater now and therefore it will be expensive to obtain regs as you will probably have to rip it apart nd more or less start again. However i would value the property at the same price as one which didn’t have a loft conversion, and you can get an indemnity policy to cover the lack of building regs if you have not contact the council about this.

    Answered on Jul 18 2010, Report content
  • Mark is right, building regulations are the key factor. Enquire whether it has them and ask for proof. If none is forthcoming you can either ask the seller to get them inspected and signed -off or take a view and get an indemnity policy. In essence as long as you don't incorrectly describe as an additional room and it supplies you with additional space it could be sorted out reasonably simply.

    Answered on Jul 20 2010, Report content
  • You answer is entirely decided by the quality and standard of the job. You need a thorough survey of the property and then you will be able to determine if the loft was done to current building regs or not and if not what the costs for remedy are.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jul 22 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Improvement in Kingston upon Thames questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Improvement